Our mission at Compass High School is to provide a supportive, individualized education for talented students with learning differences. Our special education school in the bay area provides learning strategies, social competence, and self-advocacy to give students the knowledge and confidence they need to succeed.
Special Needs School in the Bay Area
We fulfill our mission by:
- Providing college preparatory courses that students with learning differences can master through a variety of accommodations.
- Offering courses that use multi-sensory teaching approaches to strengthen reading, writing, math, organizational and life skills.
- Emphasizing the development of executive function skills, strategies for learning, problem solving, time management, organization, study skills and self-advocacy.
- Providing a vocational program that includes on-the-job internships.
- Including electives such as physical fitness, health, technology and the arts.
- Ensuring that students receive personalized college counselling.
- Offering community service and leadership activities.
- Recruiting and retaining highly-trained special education teachers who understand the strengths and learning challenges of each student.
- Communicating openly and regularly with students and families.
- Fostering a positive, nurturing school climate in which social events and field trips enhance students’ academic and social development.